My oceanic complexity


In lines with the organized decision-making of the European tradition, I arrived in Montevideo with the plan of spending no longer than two nights in Uruguay and get to Brasil for new year. So after a great night couchsurfing with The Couchhosting Champions of Montevideo; I boarded a bus to Punta del Diablo, the last town before the splendidly plastic border town of Chuy, to visit an old friend in his hotel which was just opening for the season. Complejo Oceánico, an elegant and ethereal freshly restored BnB, descends from the old hostel oceánico in La Paloma. Here, I spent a family holiday in 2012 enjoying the local beaches, sea lions, waves, hippy rhythms and weed. I had not considered that these physiognomies or the Rocha region would certainly mess up my plans. Two days and two trips to Chuy later I had made no real advance into my Brazilian itinerary, but I had finally come to grips with the infeasibility of leaving Uruguay and the awesome people I had just met. I resigned from decision-making and embraced the local attitude: enjoy the waves and take in the good vibes, you will feel it when it’s the right moment to move on. Until I came to this realization, I was unable to appreciate the panoramic, natural but especially interior exquisiteness of my surroundings. With the help of the awesome staff of Complejo Oceánico, I managed to overcome this complexity inside me which I acquired across the ocean, to let go the need to arrange my life and simply let it flow.

These past two weeks in Punta del Diablo floated past without expectations (in fact, aqui no venimos a divertirnos) or many worries; ceremonially sipping mate, getting wet in the summer rain, jumping around in the sand, fighting waves while trying to surf, playing music, drinking daiquiris and slacklining at Beach Bar Arrai. I start to appreciate the necessity to follow the feeling of the moment, ignoring rational thoughts and possible preoccupations. I had the amazing chance to spend time with los Oceánicos and their friends, to enjoy the Uruguayan life-style and learn about their culture every day. I found much beauty and truth in these amazing people, constantly looking for an excuse for a laugh, but always supporting each-other be it with compliments, encouragements or challenges. I met raw people who don’t think twice before saying what they really think and who this way end up doing a lot of magnificent chit-chat and song-writing. In faculty of my nick-name, La Tana which I argued against without much success, I visited the Italian joints around the village, chilling with Flavio at Divino Diablo and rompiendome la boca (breaking my mouth) eating the sea-weed ravioli of il Tano restaurant. I spent most evenings learning to play Uruguayan tunes on my bamboo flute and listening to live concerts. Uruguayans are amazing artists, as the Tiranos Temblad's escena musical de esta semana reminds us. Here are some of the amazing songs which are never going to leave my head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRG4cc8paY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXv5Tsa4EjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLNe-xpF44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9OnRVkRdLg&list=PLnDY8TfnbQchCJOKxUY4mWaJhvAPZogED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sABVieMgwlA

SAM_0106

Comments